Members of the Pony community and surrounding areas gathered at the Pony Bar on Saturday to raise more than $20,000 to help Laura Lee Sheehan, the woman severely injured by a propane explosion in her Harrison home on September 2.
“A lot more than my capacity, lets put it that way,” said bar owner Scott Lambert when asked how many people came out Saturday night to show their support. “About $21,000 in four hours. We did pretty good.”
Lambert said he has held similar fundraisers in the past, and he wanted to do something to help Sheehan this year because she had filled in from time to time at the Pony Bar.
The money was raised through donated items such as firearms, baked goods and artwork, Lambert said.
Lambert said he thought Sheehan was coming along quite well at the University of Utah Burn Care Center in Salt Lake City, where she was flown following the accident in September, and he said Sheehan was undergoing skin graft treatments.
“She’s got a long road home, she’ll probably be down there a few more months I would imagine,” Lambert said.
When asked to reflect on this show of support for Sheehan from the community, Lambert was proud to show his red, white and blue colors, and offered a sincere thanks to everyone who came out and showed their support, from the kids who donated 50 cents to grown ups that donated $1,200.
“I’m a born and raised Montanan, and that’s the way things are, man,” he replied. “We take care of each other.”