Paroled man in fatal crash charged with DUI

Steven Lee Atchison, who was convicted of negligent homicide in 2002 for the death of Twin Bridges resident Brooks Todd, found his way back to jail after being arrested on charges of obstructing a police officer and his first DUI in Belgrade late last month.

Atchison was paroled in 2012 after serving time for Todd’s death. In 2002, he was convicted and imprisoned on charges stemming from a fatal accident in which he was behind the wheel. The accident occurred near the Ruby Reservoir, south of Sheridan, and killed Todd.

Court documents from last month’s arrest state that Atchison was seen by another motorist speeding through a red light on Jackrabbit Lane narrowly avoiding hitting another vehicle around 11 p.m. on Sept. 20. The motorist described a white “painter’s” truck, which officers located a little while later.

The reports go on to state that Atchison, who is 33, failed to pull over for officers who had their lights on. He eventually pulled into a store parking lot, jumped out of his vehicle and ran before being tackled by law enforcement. He allegedly held his arms under his chest in an effort to resist arrest while he was on the ground.

During this altercation, officers could allegedly smell alcohol emanating from Atchison. He was taken to the Belgrade Police Department to complete sobriety tests, which he performed poorly on, according to court documents. Atchison refused to submit a breath sample and had blood drawn after law enforcement obtained a telephonic search warrant to do so. Upon results of the blood draw, Atchison was charged with a DUI.

Atchison is being held in the Gallatin County Detention Center on a $1,020 bond.

No Comments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>